This rainbow cupcake cake is made with 71 mini rainbow cupcakes and is perfect for a rainbow-themed birthday party and other rainbow-themed events such as St. Patrick’s Day, Pride month, or a rainbow party.
Get ready to add a burst of color and fun to your next celebration with a Rainbow Cupcake Cake!
This delightful treat combines the whimsy of cupcakes with the impressive look of a cake, making it the perfect centerpiece for birthday parties, rainbow-themed events, or any occasion that calls for a vibrant and delicious dessert.
With its easy preparation and eye-catching appeal, these easy rainbow cupcakes sure to wow your guests and create lasting memories.
Let’s dive into the details of this delightful recipe, including how to make rainbow cupcakes, assemble the cake, and frost it with mouthwatering buttercream icing.
Get ready for a baking adventure that will leave everyone in awe!
Rainbow Cupcake Cake: Table of Contents
Rainbow Cupcakes With Cake Mix: Ingredients
There are 4 main ingredients you need to make these cupcakes:
- Cake mix: This recipe requires 2 boxes of cake mix. Each box makes 48 mini cupcakes. You need a total of 71 mini cupcakes for the ‘base’ cake (see variations below). I chose the Betty Crocker French Vanilla Cake Mix, but feel free to use your favorite flavor or substitute homemade cupcakes instead. If you use another cake mix brand, make sure to follow the package directions.
- Cake mix ingredients: If you use this Betty Crocker mix, you’ll need 6 large eggs, 1 cup of vegetable oil (or canola oil), and 2 cups of water for the 2 mixes. Note: this may change if you use a different cake mix brand or flavor.
- Frosting: I recommend 4 containers of 16 oz classic white frosting. While you probably only needed 3 containers, it is nice to have a little extra frosting to work with.
- Gel food coloring: You only need the primary colors (red, yellow, and blue) to make this rainbow cake. However, to save time, I recommend this AmeriColor Student Kit Food Gels so you don’t have to worry about mixing colors.
What You Need To Make A Rainbow Cupcake Cake
The equipment you need to make a rainbow cupcake cake includes:
- Stand mixer (or electric mixer / hand mixer + mixing bowl)
- Measuring cups
- Mini cupcake liners
- Mini cupcake pan
- Cooling rack
- 16″ piping bags
- Mixing bowls
- Large serving tray
Rainbow Cupcakes Frosting Breakdown
71 mini cupcakes are needed for your rainbow pull-apart cake. Here’s the breakdown by color:
- 17 cupcakes with red frosting
- 16 cupcakes with orange frosting
- 14 cupcakes with yellow frosting
- 11 cupcakes with green frosting
- 8 cupcakes with blue frosting
- 5 cupcakes with purple frosting
Rainbow Cupcake Cake Template
This printable rainbow cupcake cake template is a guide to arranging your rainbow pull-apart cake:
How To Make A Rainbow Cupcake Cake
The steps to make a rainbow cupcake cake include:
- Make the mini cupcakes.
- Color the icing.
- Frost cupcakes.
- Assemble the cupcakes in a rainbow shape
Check out the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
Rainbow Cupcake Cake Ideas
I assembled this rainbow pull-apart cake in three different ways, for three different occasions:
- ‘Classic’: For Pride month (detailed above)
- ‘Pot of Gold’: For St. Patrick’s Day (detailed below)
- ‘Over The Rainbow’: Perfect for a child’s birthday party (detailed below)
“Pot Of Gold” Rainbow Cupcakes Cake
This variation adds ‘clouds’ and ‘gold’ below the rainbow cupcakes, which is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. You’ll need an additional 17-18 white mini cupcakes and two 10.6 oz bags of Rolos.
“Over The Rainbow” Cupcakes Cake
This variation adds ‘clouds’ below the rainbow. It’s perfect for a child’s birthday party, or if you just want to include an additional 36 white mini cupcakes 🙂
Note: adding ‘clouds’ will require a third cake mix.
Rainbow Cupcake Cake: FAQs
How many cupcakes in a rainbow cupcake cake?
There are 71 mini cupcakes on a rainbow cupcake cake.
How do you make rainbow pull apart cupcakes?
To make rainbow pull-apart cupcakes:
1. Make mini cupcakes.
2. Color the icing.
3. Frost the cupcakes.
4. Assemble the rainbow.
Why are rainbow cakes so popular?
Rainbow cakes have gained immense popularity due to their visually striking appearance and the joy they bring to any occasion.
The vibrant and colorful layers of a rainbow cake instantly capture attention and create a sense of excitement.
These cakes are often associated with celebrations, birthdays, and special events, as they add a festive and fun element to the dessert table.
Rainbow cakes also allow for creativity and personalization, as bakers can experiment with different colors and designs, making them a popular choice for those who want to showcase their baking skills and create a memorable dessert experience.
Can you use normal cake mix for cupcakes?
Yes, you can absolutely use a normal cake mix to make cupcakes.
In fact, using a cake mix can make the process of preparing cupcakes easier and more convenient.
Simply follow the instructions on the cake mix package, but instead of baking the batter in a cake pan, distribute it evenly into cupcake liners placed in a cupcake pan.
Adjust the baking time according to the instructions for cupcakes provided on the cake mix package.
This way, you can enjoy the same delicious flavors and textures of a cake in a convenient and portable cupcake form.
What is the difference between cake batter and cupcake batter?
Cake batter and cupcake batter are quite similar in terms of ingredients and preparation.
The main difference lies in the quantity and baking time.
Cake batter is typically prepared to fill a cake pan, creating a single, larger cake.
On the other hand, cupcake batter is portioned into individual cupcake liners placed in a cupcake pan, resulting in smaller, individual servings.
The baking time for cupcakes is usually shorter than that for a cake, as the smaller size allows for faster and more even baking.
Additionally, cupcake batter may be slightly thicker to ensure that the cupcakes hold their shape and rise properly when baked.
What is a pull a part cupcake?
A pull-apart cupcake is a unique and fun concept where multiple cupcakes are arranged together in a pattern or shape to form a cohesive cake-like structure.
The cupcakes are placed closely together on a cake board or a serving platter, creating a visually appealing design.
When serving, the cupcakes can be easily pulled apart by individuals, hence the name “pull-apart cupcake.”
This approach offers a convenient and interactive way for guests to enjoy individual servings while still experiencing the joy of a larger cake.
Pull-apart cupcakes are often decorated with frosting, sprinkles, and other edible decorations to enhance the overall appeal and theme of the occasion.
How many mini cupcakes does a cake mix make?
The exact number may vary based on factors such as the size of your mini cupcake pans and the amount of batter you pour into each liner, a standard cake mix typically yields around 48 mini cupcakes.
These adorable treats are perfect for parties, celebrations, or whenever you’re craving bite-sized delights.
So go ahead and whip up a batch of mini cupcakes using your favorite cake mix, and enjoy the deliciousness of these delightful treats in vibrant colors and with delectable frosting.
Rainbow Cupcake Cake: Conclusion
In conclusion, the Rainbow Cupcake Cake is a true showstopper that will bring a smile to everyone’s face.
With its colorful layers, delectable flavors, and creative presentation, it’s a dessert that delights both kids and adults alike.
Whether you’re hosting a birthday party, a festive gathering, or simply want to brighten up an ordinary day, this cake is a fantastic choice.
The super easy recipe, using cake mix and food coloring, ensures that you can easily recreate this fancy-looking dessert at home.
So grab your cupcake liners, piping bag, and a sprinkle of imagination, and get ready to bake up a delightful rainbow that will not only taste amazing but also create an unforgettable experience.
Your guests will be amazed by the vibrant colors and delicious flavors, making the Rainbow Cupcake Cake a true centerpiece that brings joy and excitement to any occasion.Print
Easy Rainbow Cupcake Cake
This rainbow cupcake cake is made with 71 mini rainbow cupcakes and is perfect for a birthday and other occasions such as St. Patrick’s Day and Pride.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 71 mini cupcakes 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Dessert, Side Dish, Snack
- Cuisine: American
- 2 boxes of cake mix ((plus ingredients))
- 4 containers of classic white frosting
- red food gel
- yellow food gel
- blue food gel
Bake And Cool The Cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the cake batter according to the package instructions
- Place a mini cupcake liner in each cavity of the mini cupcake pan.
- Using a spoon, or cookie scoop, transfer approximately 1/6 cup of cupcake batter to a cupcake liner. Repeat for the remaining 23 cupcake cavities.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the cupcakes are fully cooked.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat these steps 3 more times, for a total of 96 cupcakes.
Frost 17 Cupcakes With Red Icing.
- Add ~3 drops of red food gel to a small bowl with ~1 cup of white frosting. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the red frosting to a large piping bag. Cut the end of the piping bag with a scissors.
- Frost the cupcakes with red icing.
Frost 16 Cupcakes With Orange Icing.
- Transfer the remaining red frosting back to the small bowl.
- Add ~1/2 cup of more white frosting to the small bowl.
- Add ~2 drops of yellow food gel. Mix thoroughly and add more red and yellow food gel to achieve your desired orange color.
- Transfer the orange frosting to a large piping bag. Cut the end of the piping bag with scissors.
- Frost the cupcakes with orange icing.
Frost 14 Cupcakes With Yellow Icing.
- Add ~3 drops of yellow food gel to a small bowl with ~1 cup of white frosting. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the yellow frosting to a large piping bag. Cut the end of the piping bag with scissors.
- Frost the cupcakes with yellow icing.
Frost 11 Cupcakes With Green Icing.
- Transfer the remaining yellow frosting back to the small bowl.
- Transfer ~1/2 cup of more white frosting to the small mixing bowl.
- Add 1-2 drops of blue food gel. Mix thoroughly and add more blue and yellow food gel to achieve your desired green color.
- Transfer the green frosting to a large piping bag. Cut the end of the piping bag with scissors.
- Frost the cupcakes with green icing.
Frost 8 Cupcakes With Blue Icing.
- Add 3 drops of blue food gel to a small bowl with ~1 cup of white frosting. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the blue frosting to a large piping bag. Cut the end of the piping bag with scissors.
- Frost the cupcakes with blue icing.
Frost 5 Cupcakes With Purple Icing.
- Transfer the remaining blue frosting back to the small bowl.
- Add 1-2 drops of red food gel. Mix thoroughly and add more blue and red food gel to achieve your desired purple color.
- Transfer the purple frosting to a large piping bag. Cut the end of the piping bag with scissors.
- Frost the cupcakes with purple icing.
Assemble The Rainbow Cupcake Cake.
- Start by forming a small, upside-down ‘U’ shape with the purple cupcakes.
- Align the blue cupcakes around the purple cupcakes.
- Add the green cupcakes behind the blue cupcakes, then yellow cupcakes, orange cupcakes, and finally, red cupcakes.
* You may substitute your favorite homemade cupcake recipe or any flavored cake mix. Note that the cake mix ingredients will likely change. For example, if you use a Classic White cake mix instead of French Vanilla, you will need more water and less vegetable oil.
Keywords: Cupcakes, Mini Cupcakes, Pull Apart Cupcakes, Rainbow
We hope you enjoy this rainbow cupcake recipe!
If you have any questions, post them below and we will get back to you asap.