These football pretzel rods will definitely score you a touchdown on game day! This post provides step-by-step instructions for the best football pretzels and easy-to-make football laces.
Ah, football season! Whether you’re gearing up for the Super Bowl or just cheering on your favorite team, there’s one thing we all can’t deny – game day snacks are essential.
What better way to merge the sweet, salty allure of pretzels with the spirit of football than with chocolate covered pretzel rods? This isn’t just your average snack; I’m talking about football pretzel rods!
Imagine pretzels, dipped and swirled in perfectly melted chocolate, then decorated to resemble the classic football design. Not only are these treats visually appealing, but they also offer a burst of flavors that will have your guests reaching for more.
From the rich taste of chocolate chips to the creative use of white chocolate for laces, this recipe promises fun, sweetness, and a touch of salty goodness.
Ready to get started?
Let’s dive into the world of chocolate football pretzel rods and add a dash of creativity to your game day table.
Table of Contents: Football Pretzel Rods
Ingredients To Make Football Chocolate Covered Pretzels
Set yourself up for success with the best ingredients. Below is a review of my favorite brands for making chocolate pretzels.
1. Pretzel Rods
- My favorite pretzel rods
- I basically have pretzel rods at home at all times since chocolate pretzels are perfect in a pinch. If you’re also planning to make chocolate pretzels for Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, or Cinco de Mayo, you could also grab the 27 oz container.
2. Dark Chocolate Candy Melts
- My favorite dark chocolate candy
- Merkens is my favorite brand of chocolate for making candy, and I highly recommend it. Alternative brands include Wilton and Ghirardelli.
3. Green Sprinkles
- My favorite green sprinkles
- These are the best bang for your buck on Amazon. I use them all year round for Super Bowl, St. Patrick’s Day, Cinco de Mayo, and Christmas. You may be able to find a smaller package at a craft store such as Michaels.
4. Rainbow Nonpareils
- My favorite rainbow nonpareils
- I also use them in my football sugar cookies and love how bright and colorful they are.
5. White Cookie Icing
- My favorite white cookie icing
- For this batch, I used the Walmart brand. But you can use any brand of cookie icing (such as Betty Crocker or Wilton), as long as it’s not a frosting consistency, like this Wilton rainbow frosting set, which is better suited for decorated brownies (like these).
Equipment To Make Football Chocolate Pretzel Rods
It’s essential to set up your workspace and equipment before you begin working with melted chocolate so that it doesn’t sit idle and begin to harden.
- Large mixing bowl
- Mini sauce dishes
- Parchment paper
- Baking tray (optional)
How To Make Football Chocolate Pretzel Rods
First, line the countertop (or a baking tray) with parchment paper.
Then, transfer the sprinkles and nonpareils from their packages to the small sauce dishes.
Next, add the chocolate to the large bowl and melt according to the package instructions, or follow these guidelines:
- Microwave on high for 45 seconds, then stir thoroughly.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds, then stir thoroughly.
- Continue microwaving in 15 to 30-second intervals, stirring thoroughly, until all the chocolate has just about melted. (The remaining few pieces should melt on their own, and it’s a good way to ensure you don’t overheat the chocolate).
Next, dip a pretzel rod into the melted chocolate, gently tap off the excess, and place it on the parchment paper.
Lastly, add laces using white cookie icing, or add green sprinkles or rainbow nonpareils.
Recipe Tips for Football Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods
- Choice of Pretzel Rods: The key to great football pretzel rods is starting with quality pretzel rods. Ensure they are not too thin and are free of cracks. A good brand can make all the difference.
- Melting Chocolate: Always melt your chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl to avoid burning. Use short intervals, stirring in between, until you achieve a smooth consistency. Dark chocolate can be particularly tempting for its rich flavor.
- Dipping Technique: When dipping pretzel rods into the melted chocolate, consider using a tall glass for ease. This ensures a uniform coat around the pretzel.
- Football Design: White chocolate is perfect for creating the laces on your football pretzels. Transfer it to a piping bag for precision.
- Setting the Pretzels: After you’ve dipped and decorated your pretzels, place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. This prevents sticking and makes for easy removal.
- Add Some Fun: To make them even more festive, consider adding sprinkles or colored sugar in your favorite team’s colors before the chocolate sets.
- Storage: Store the chocolate pretzel rods in an airtight container to maintain freshness. If you’re preparing them a day before game day, this step ensures they remain as delicious as when you first made them.
- Serving: These snacks are perfect for Super Bowl parties or any football game day. Display them creatively on a table, maybe alongside other game day snacks, and watch your guests be amazed by your creative flair.
- Keep it Salty and Sweet: The beauty of chocolate covered pretzels lies in the delightful combination of salty and sweet. Ensure you purchase pretzels that have a noticeable saltiness to them.
- Feedback: After your game day, share your experience on your blog or with friends. It’s always good to review and refine recipes. Plus, who knows? Your chocolate football pretzel rods might become a tradition for every football event!
Football Pretzel Rods: Conclusion
As we wrap up this post, I hope you’re as excited as I am about these football pretzel rods.
They’re the perfect blend of salty pretzel and sweet chocolate, making them a delightful treat for both kids and adults alike.
Not only are they delicious, but the fun of crafting them into football shapes, with detailed laces and all, makes the process even more rewarding.
So, the next time you’re looking for a creative snack for game day, remember this recipe.
These chocolate dipped pretzel rods are sure to score a touchdown on your snack table.
Whether you serve them during a tense Super Bowl showdown or a casual get-together with friends, they’re a guaranteed hit.
And the best part?
No matter if your team wins or loses, with these treats, your game day snacks will always be a winner!
Football Chocolate Pretzel Rods
- Large mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- Mini Sauce Dishes
- Baking tray (optional)
- 20 Pretzel rods
- Chocolate melting wafers
- Rainbow nonperiles
- Green sprinkles
- White cookie icing
- First, line the countertop (or a baking tray) with parchment paper.
- Then, transfer the sprinkles and nonpareils from their packages to the small sauce dishes.
- Next, add the chocolate to the large bowl and melt according to the package instructions, or follow these guidelines:Microwave on high for 45 seconds, then stir thoroughly. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, then stir thoroughly. Continue microwaving in 15 to 30-second intervals, stirring thoroughly, until all the chocolate has just about melted. (The remaining few pieces should melt on their own, and it's a good way to ensure you don't overheat the chocolate).
- Next, dip a pretzel rod into the melted chocolate, gently tap off the excess, and place it on the parchment paper.
- Lastly, add laces using white cookie icing, or add green sprinkles or rainbow nonpareils.