This quick, easy, and healthy acai bowl recipe is made with frozen acai puree, bananas, berries, milk, and your choice of toppings in under 10 minutes.
A few months ago, a started noticing everyone walking around the city in their gym clothes with what looked like large containers of frozen yogurt loaded with fruits. Then, my brother clued me on this new thing called ‘acai bowls.’ Aside from the pronunciation, I had a ton of questions:
Acai Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Acai?
Acai is a berry found on acai palm trees in South American rainforests.
What Is An Acai Bowl?
An acai bowl is a blend of frozen acai puree and berries served in a bowl topped with fresh fruit and other toppings such as granola and unsweetened coconut.
Where Can I Buy Acai?
Where Can I Buy Premade Acai Bowls?
This definitely depends on where you are located, but hopefully, a quick Google Maps search will do the trick for you. Here’s a list of top acai bowl businesses in the United States.
Ingredients To Make This Acai Bowl Recipe
- Frozen acai packets: most recipes (this one included) call for two packets of frozen acai puree. If you prefer to use one packet, cut the remaining measurements in half.
- Almond milk: I thought if I left out the milk from my recipe, then my acai bowl would be creamier and denser, but that’s just not the case. Add 1/4 cup of milk to your blender to ensure that the acai, banana, peanut butter, and berries can mix properly. I generally stick with almond milk, but you can use any type of milk for this recipe.
- Peanut butter: One tablespoon of peanut butter is the best way to turn your ‘frozen berry bowl’ into a creamy blend that you’re served at your local acai bowl shop.
- Banana: One whole fresh banana is probably the second best way to turn your ‘frozen berry bowl’ into a creamy blend that you’re served at your local acai bowl shop. You can use frozen or fresh. I generally use fresh because it makes the bowl a bit creamier.
- Frozen blueberries: Add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries to your bowl for added flavor density. Feel free to substitute blueberries for raspberries or strawberries.
- Toppings: This part is up to you! Choose as many (or as few) as you’d like, to top off your acai bowl:
- Fruit (bananas, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.)
- Chia seeds
- Coconut flakes
Equipment Needed To Make This Acai Bowl Recipe
- Blender: A blender is essential; a ‘good’ blender is a game-changer and will help you achieve a thick and creamy bowl. I use the Ninja Professional Countertop blender, which is by no means top of the line, but it still makes my bowls thick and creamy.
- Measuring cups: I get it. You’re rushing to make breakfast before you run out of the door in the morning. You’re already running late and the last thing you want to do is dig through your utensil drawer to find measuring cups. Once you’ve made this recipe a few times, you can probably ‘eye-ball’ it with, using a small handful as 1/2 cup, and a splash of milk as 1/4 cup.
- Spatula: Hopefully your acai mixture is thick and creamy enough that it needs a little ‘push’ to make it out of the blender and into your bowl. I like this narrow spatula from Amazon to get every last drop from the blender into my bowl.
Acai Bowl Substitutions
You can really get creative with your acai bowl recipe! If you’d like to make your bowl creamier, then add an additional half tablespoon of peanut butter. If you don’t love berries, swap them for frozen mangos. The essentials include 2 packets of acai puree, 1/2 cup of frozen fruit, 1 whole banana, and 1/4 cup of milk.
How To Make An Acai Bowl Recipe
- Blend: Add 2 acai packets, 1 banana, 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 1/4 cup of almond milk, and 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries to a blender, and blend on high for 30 seconds to one minute.
- Add toppings: Transfer the acai mixture to a bowl. Top with 1 sliced small banana, 1/4 cup of fresh blackberries, 1/3 cup of granola, and 1 tsp of shredded unsweetened coconut.
Easy Acai Bowl
- Measuring cups
Acai Smoothie Mixture
- 2 packets Acai
- 1 small Banana
- 1 tbsp Peanut Butter creamy
- 1/4 cup Milk your choice
- 1/2 cup Frozen Blueberries
- 1 small Banana
- 1/4 cup Fresh Blackberries
- 1/3 cup Granola
- 1 tsp Coconut unsweetened
- Add the acai smoothie ingredients to a blender and mix on high for 30 seconds to one minute.
- Top with sliced banana, fresh blackberries, granola, and coconut.
You May Also Like
I Want To Hear From You!
Have you ever had an acai bowl before? If so, did you make it yourself, or purchase it? Would you make this recipe again? Share your feedback in the comments section below!